Friday, July 3, 2009

Herb Alpert's "Rise" Makes Rape Become Love!


So, me and my "lady friend" were heading into Philadelphia for the day Thursday to kill some time. Normally, I would be working, but this wonderful economy has damn near put me on the bread lines, and....eh...screw all that. You can hear people whine about the economy ANYWHERE these days, right?

As we were careening up I-95 towards "The City Of Brotherly Love", I had the ole' iPod on...you guessed it...shuffle. I know, I know, I said I wouldn't do that anymore, but I had to be respectful to the passenger, and although *I'm* happy playing "Save Me" from Killswitch Engage OVER AND OVER again, she may not enjoy that, right?

As we reached the Philadelphia International Airport area of our trip, Herb Alpert's instrumental piece "Rise" came on.
Now, while to most people these days, this song immediately conjures images of Julia Stiles dancing on a table to Biggie Smalls "Hypnotize" in "10 Things I Hate About You", for ME, it is a theme song for rape.

I'm gonna wait a few while you sit in horror thinking that *I* rape women to that song.
For you...this will just go right to the next sentence, but just KNOW that I actually sat and waited.

Ok, so, NO, I don't rape women to this song, or any other for that matter.
I don't need to....the wimmens are always like "OH JOEY HARDWOOD...YOU'RE THE DREAMIEST!!!!"

Oh, "whatever" to you!

Anyway, in 1979 when I was but a wee lad....I would come home from school, and my Grandmother and Aunt HAD to watch "General Hospital". See, back then, you only had one TV in your house. I know that seems crazy to you whippersnappers today, but there ACTUALLY wasn't a TV in every room, the way there is now.

SO, before I could watch cartoons, I had to endure General Hospital until 4:00pm.
I can still remember staring at the clock, and how excited I would get when it was 3:55, because it would go to it's last commercial break, and I KNEW there was no more after that!

I get sidetracked too easily....my point is that one of the ONLY things I remember about the show, was Luke raping Laura in his disco, as Herb Alpert's "Rise" played.
But that's not what I wanted to address so much.

What I wanted to address was the fact that Luke And Laura then went on to become the biggest storybook romance in Soap Opera HISTORY!!!
HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT WORK??

Seriously, what kind of message were they trying to send exactly? I know that the writing staff in the late 70's was probably comprised of men...tweeked out of their fucking minds on blow....DEEP into the swinger lifestyle....but RAPE turning to love?
REALLY?
I'm sorry, how the fuck does that work again, exactly?
I can't even IMAGINE anyone trying this shit on TV today....people would lose their F'N minds!!!

And what the fuck was my Grandmother and Aunt thinking, letting a nine year old boy watch some chick get raped in a disco?
Granted, the song is hypnotic and sexy for rapings...but still!

Either people had a LOT more balls back then, or people were insane from Quaaludes and Bee Gees songs.
But either way, apparently the 70's were a magical time where ANYTHING was possible.

And for your viewing pleasure, so it can now be burned into your minds...the scene in question. It's in two parts...just cut to the 7:00min mark on the first clip, because that's when the party starts...or just skip to the LAST video, of Julia Stiles dancing, because it's more...um...interesting.





No comments: