Friday, February 29, 2008

Happy Leap Day


Congratulations to Tony Robbins, Ja Rule, and former El Salvadoran President General Carlos Humberto Romero Mena... It's your birthday! Happy Birthday to you all, and you all should be out there doing some big, big celebrating, since you only get to really say it's your birthday once every four years. As Tony would say, seize the moment, kick start your night or something so much more motivational than I can provide; that is, all except for you General Romero Mena. At 84 you need to be careful; a night of boozing and dancing could lead to a broken hip. Maybe you should just sit back, watch some spanish Golden Girls and drink some metamucil. I know you say the same joke every four years -- "I'm only 21 today" blah blah, just go easy on the sauce, okay General?

But to all the rest of the "leapers" get down, it's finally your day!

And to everybody, Happy Leap Day!

Happy Leap Day...That just doesn't sound right. It's missing some flair. I think maybe Leap Day should be celebrated as a holiday, I mean since it comes around so infrequently, the laws of supply and demand alone should dictate that this is an important day, more important than say Arbor Day, or especially those Hallmark holidays like Valentine's or Father's Days. I've never heard of anyone getting gifts for Leap Day But, if you were to give gifts, what would you give? A trampoline? Pogo Stick? Someone needs to get the marketing department on that.

I never really understood how Leap Day or Leap Year got it's name. I understand the purpose for it, but I just never really got the name. I mean the word "leap" conveys to me that we should be skipping a day. I.E. leaping over the day, or leaping right into March. Does that mean that the other three conventional years we are actually skipping the 29th of February? Now I feel gypped. I feel like I'm getting ripped off February days every year and nobody is crying foul! Except for me, dammit, I'm here to right this injustice. I blame the Democrats, it's probably some sort of calendar tax imposed, years back. I just wonder if they're using all these missing days to fund the medicare reform bills they keep promising; then that would be okay, we can call it even.

It's actually rule set out by Pope Gregory XIII, back in 1582 (making him one of the more remembered historical popes) that every year divisible by 4 is a leap year except for those years divisible by 100. But the exception to the exception are those years divisible by 400, those are still Leap Years. Not that this will come up again for another 92 years but be warned now that 2100 will not be a leap year. So we'll be leaping a leap year, I guess; I hope all the computers and power plants don't crash. You might think about buying your stores of extra Y21C water and canned foods now, before the mad rush.

No comments: