Thursday, June 5, 2008

Drama and Panic

I've only been in one natural disaster and I hesitate to call it that, because there were no fatalities -- so I guess it doesn't classify as a disaster...mishap maybe, nah I just don't have a better word for it. Occurrence? Whatever, I survived an 8.6 earthquake in Guam back in '93. Yes, you're reading the blog of an earthquake survivor :D Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the following tsunami. It was technically a tsunami albeit a miniscule one; it was only a few feet.

Either way, it really was a blast for me; it was amazing. I had never been in any situation even coming close to that before, save a hurricane or two that fizzled out as it crept up the east coast. But those weak-assed winds are nothing compared to the deafening roar, the rolling streets, and the rocking buildings of a big earthquake. It really was one of the coolest experiences I've had...and what made it even more fun was the 'right after'. We got an early report that we wouldn't have power or water for at least a week, if not two. So, we did what every rockin' dude would do we went to the local shoppette and bought all the cold beer that they'd sell us. We had tequila, we had lemons, we had candles and we had a fucken earthquake party to remember.

But aside from bragging about how cool I was...The other thing I remember is the drama and panic that ensued. The panic came quickly...remember it was '93, before the age of cellular and the regular phones were out from the quake so there were some people who were trying to communicate with, with friggen ANYONE who would listen because they couldn't get a hold of family and friends back on the main-land. To be honest, there really wasn't much damage on the island -- all of the buildings are made to withstand the 190 mph winds of the typhoons, there wasn't a wood joint on the island. Everything was block or concrete, so we were all cool and the gang; there was no need for this panic, this crazy-talk. Some of these people were just silly, I tell you, running around, back and forth, the sky is falling, when there really wasn't anything we could do right off -- except for partying.

And there was the other side -- the drama. Yes, I know an earthquake can be a traumatic experience. The entire earth, our Rock of Gibraltar was moving uncontrollably underneath of us. But it was over, it happened. There was this whole other group of people who were the drama queens - for lack of a better cliché. There was whining, sobbing...it happened to all of us, get over it. Eh, I'm getting off track.

All of this came fresh to my memory yesterday, when we, here in the WV fell under tornado warnings. It really was an amazing storm that passed through here. I was a work, we had the announcement on the big intercom and via computer to "take shelter". There was a strong chance that a tornado, would be rolling through. Now me, maybe I take things too lightly, I don't know, but I figured my chances of biting it via tornado, here in WV are less than winning the powerball. But others, I guess look at things a bit differently. As I was standing by the back door of my office building, watching the sideways rain and the crazy winds bending the trees over, I overheard several cellphone conversations -- insane conversations. First started the crazy rumors. Someone heard that the schools let out, and the busses were picking up the kids -- trying to beat the tornados...oh and by the way leaving kids out at what bus stop shelters?! Please, even in West-byGod-Virginia no school administrator can be that dumb. Then I heard one dude get off the phone and shout that two twisters had touched down in the town a few miles south of us and were heading right for us. WRONG. One guy was talking to his wife telling her to get to the school and get the kids and get everyone to the basement. This was during the storm. OK some people in the WV can be that dumb, but he wasn't a school administrator. The whole thing was just, again, crazy-talk

I'm rambling now...Bottom line here people is that all this silly drama and panic does nothing. Just chill, dogg. There is no amount of action or idiocy that will stop an earthquake from happening, especially after it happens or a tornado or any other thing Mommy Nature wants to throw at us. I say just ride the wave man, keep your family safe and pick up the broken pieces after if needed, it'll be okay. Oh, and by we didn't have any tornados touch down within a hundred miles of us, but it was a really cool storm to watch.

PS. I really don't want this to sound disrespectful to anyone who has been through something horrible, to someone who has lost a loved one. This should only be disrespectful to those who panic in these situations.

No comments: