Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Princess And The Frog


I grew up LOVING Disney Animation.

In fact, before I decided to just be a failure who never realized his dreams, I always wanted to work for the Disney Animation Department.
There was just something about that particular company that appealed to me. Their films always conjured up happy imagery to me, and even now when I watch one of the old films, the nostalgic wave is amazing. It just reminds me of a happier time or something, and I assume that it does that same for everyone else.

And THAT, is why I always wanted to be part of their magic.

The company faltered during the 1980's with a slew of less than stellar stories like "Oliver And Company" and "The Black Cauldron", but then enjoyed a rebirth with 1991's "The Little Mermaid".

After their 1991 success, the train kept rolling with hits like "Beauty And The Beast", "The Lion King" and "Aladdin".
But, once again Disney began to falter. Terrible theatrical releases like "Atlantis", "Treasure Planet", and "Home On The Range", and straight to video sequels to their biggest hits severely tarnished their legacy.
"Cinderella 3: Godmother With A Vengeance" anyone?

Ok, I exaggerated the title a bit, but with the rape that was taking place, it might as well have been named that. Besides, at least THAT would have at least been interesting.
All of these decisions were made under the watch of Michael Eisner, including eventually CLOSING the Disney Animation Department.

Brilliant, no?

I mean, I guess I should mention that there was also a strong belief that traditional hand drawn animation was no longer desired by the masses after the releases of things like the Pixar films and Shrek......BUT, under Eisner's watch, the Disney/Pixar deal also collapsed, leaving Disney completely tossing around in the wind.

Fast forward to today.

The Disney/Pixar deal is back in place, and the Disney Animation Department is up and running again, AND they have released a brand new 2D animated feature film "The Princess And The Frog".

I am very happy to say, that Disney Animation is back!

This film was everything you remember about the good ole' days of Disney Animation...interesting characters...interesting plot....solid music, and brilliant animation.
The backdrop was Jazz Era New Orleans and everything that comes with it.
Cajun food, Cajun people, and a dark Voodoo priest set the tone, as Tiana tried to fullfill her hard working Father's dream of her one day owning her own restaurant, in a time when black people were not afforded such opportunities in America.
Everything is derailed after she tries to help a prince who has been turned into a frog by the Voodoo priest "Shadow Man". Tiana herself becomes a frog, and the two begin a journey, with the help of a trumpet playing alligator and a creole firefly, to Mama Odie's house in the bayou, in hopes that she will be able to help them.

I highly recommend this to anyone with children, or to jabronies like me who grew up on this stuff. It was awesome to see Disney back doing what they do best, and who knows if we'll see this happen again.

No comments: