Thursday, March 6, 2008

Patrick Swayze Has Cancer








Man, shit like this bums me out. I don't like seeing cats that I grew up watching, in a bad way.
It may sound selfish, but it bothers me on a personal level for some reason. I think it reminds me of my own mortality.

The thing about a guy like Swayze is, no matter when his time finally comes, he lives on forever.
That's the thing about being an actor...these people live on and on. I mean, throughout my life, I've watched films that contain actors and actresses that have since died, but I still recognize them instantly...we all do. People who weren't even born during his time know Humphrey Bogart...or recognize Clark Gable saying "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." We all know Marlon Brando...and for decades after their deaths, we'll know Deniro, Depp, Pitt, Hanks...etc.
Look at The Three Stooges! Who the hell doesn't INSTANTLY recognize The Three Stooges?

And just like those before him, and as I said, regardless of when his time finally comes, Swayze will always be Dalton to us, or Sam, or Bohdi....or maybe we'll hear him saying "Nobody puts Baby in a corner"...hell, I hate that movie...but I know that line. THAT'S what I'm talking about here! This guy is part of the pop culture of a lot of our lives.

Hollywood is the closest you can get to immortality in this life.
I wonder if actors ever stop to think about that?

Good Luck to you Mr. Swayze.

You can leave well wishes to him on his official Guestbook at:
http://www.patrickswayze.net

No comments: