Sunday, February 15, 2009

Music Review: Audrye Sessions

Guess what? I got a surprise in my mail the other day and you didn't.
Unless you did, and it was cooler than what I got. In which case go away, because right now I want to gloat...and if you can outshine me, then you take the punch out of my story and I don't like you.

What did I get you ask?
Well if the picture and title above didn't tip you off, you're a moron.
BUT, I'll tell you anyway.

I had the pleasure of receiving the debut album from Oakland, California's "Audrye Sessions".

A lot of times when I get these promo discs from publicists, I don't mention it because I either think the band is just AWFUL, or it's a genre that I don't particularly care for. I mean, I figure..."Joe, who are you to judge German Folk Alternative Rap?"
And really, who am I to?
Things is hard in the Bavarian Countryside, yo!

But this time, my Droogies....THIS TIME, we have a twist on things.
And the twist is this...I don't particularly care for this genre of music...BUT this is a rock solid album if there ever was one.

I may have mentioned it before, but if I didn't, I'm a sucker for a catchy chorus.
Well, catchy choruses abound on this outing from Audrye Sessions. From the first track "Turn Me Off" to the closing track "Dust And Bones".

As I'm typing this, I transitioned from "Juliana" into "Relentless" and even though this is my second go round with the album, it already feels like an old "comfort" disc. What you hear sticks with you so much the first time out, that by the second listening, you feel like you KNOW the songs.

I do have one issue with this disc, however.
When I popped it in to iTunes to transfer it to my iTouch, the genre listed was "Pop". Now, either I'm completely out of touch, which is entirely possible because I never claimed to be hip...just cooler than you.
No, really, trust me it's easy to do.
Let's not argue right now, I'm trying to address something.
Anyway, calling this band "Pop" is the upper echelon of bullshit, in my opinion.
I mean, I'm pretty sure back in the 90's this would have surely been described as "Alternative" just based on the guitar riff during the chorus of "The Paper Face" alone, and "Alternative" is always a much cooler description than "Pop".
Wait....did I just become Zack Braff?

Well, that's as good of a queue to end this if there ever was one.
The last thing I want to do is come off like some leftover "Reality Bites" era, assclown slacker.
I mean, you wouldn't mind doing that, but that's what I meant when I said it was easy to be cooler than you.

"Audrye Sessions" disc will be in stores February 17th...do yourself a favor and grab it. Or keep listening to Foghat....what the hell do I care, really?

http://www.myspace.com/audryesessions

5 comments:

poptart said...

Pop is any tune that remains in your head and you continue to sing that catchy phrase over and over.

It also becomes very familiar that you catch your self singing it in all types of situations.

Pop also means dad.

Joe said...

I disagree with this.
I have lots of songs run through my head over and over, that are CLEARLY not Pop.

I'll give you the Dad thing though.

poptart said...

Well I polled 40 people and they ALL agree with me.

Now I know you don't care, but lets put our hands in the Ayer, ayer, or if you want you can come under my umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh.

Oh, it's what you do to me............ Hahhahahahhahhahah

I bet I just drove you nuts. Go have a drink of jack and listen to some Pantera.

Joe said...

When I read the lyrics to Umbrella, I can't help but feel that Chris Brown is just misunderstood.

poptart said...

Dude that was wall to wall!