Saturday, June 6, 2009

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things....




Well, actually, you're only getting one of them this time, and no...it has nothing to do with cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels.

For this entry, you will be treated to 1979's "Over The Edge", which featured the screen debut of Matt Dillon, who would go on to reprise the same character he played in this film, in The Outsiders and Rumble Fish....only, he had a different name in each film...but trust me...it was the same character.

In this film, the character's name is Richie White. Richie is COMPLETELY too cool for school, which seems odd now, when you see him in a half shirt, calf high tube socks, and riding a banana seat bike with a flag that says "Richie" on it....but trust me, he was badass back then.

Don't believe me?
Let him tell you sump.....



See? You will get your F'N BIDNESS HANDLED by Richie AND his bike flag!
Did you ever have someone tell you sump before?
One of my other favorite lines from Dillon is "I'm an outlaw, jack! Them cops wanna deal wit me, they best do it in the street!"
What's a cooler line than that coming from a 14 year old?
Nothing....nothing is.

"Over The Edge" was centered in "New Granada" a fictional subdivision that was going to feature Twin Cinemas and a Roller Rink! "Tomorrow's City...Today" the sign promised. But while all this progress was happening...no one was paying attention to the kids!! GASP!!!!

They weren't bad kids...they just needed some direction!
And they did what all kids do when they don't get the direction they need...they drank, did drugs, had sex, listened to Cheap Trick, locked their parents in the school during an emergency town meeting about "the trouble with kids today", shot the place up with shotguns and then lit everything they could on fire.
See?
Just a little tomfoolery!
Oh those crazy kids!!!

While this all seems like a bunch of silly bullshit, I think this movie dictated the pace of my generation for a bit. I seem to remember MANY "Richie Whites" shortly after this film was released, during my Junior High School days.
Hmm...OR, is it possible that the film was reflecting what already existed out there?
Who knows...I was nine at the time the film was released, people....I was still playing with Star Wars figures and shit. I remember when I found the Jawa figure before my cousin John...and he was all jerked off about it. And let me tell you, I didn't mind rubbing it in whenever I got the chance!!!
Oh I was such a silly goo....oh...yeah...Over The Edge....

Anyway, I remember this movie being on HBO almost every day back in the early 80's.
I think they just rotated this with "Red Dawn" and "Midnight Madness".....OOHHHH "Midnight Madness" is another one we have to get into sometime.
"The Bonaventure Hotel!!!!"

Whatever...you never understand ANYTHING I'm talking about.

The point is, Over The Edge is a part of ME...and this is my blog.
If you don't like it, go start your own blog and talk about how "Ice Castles" changed your life forever.

But I learned things from Over The Edge.
I learned that if you ignore your kids, they'll start listening to "Surrender" from Cheap Trick.
And if they start listening to "Surrender" from Cheap Trick...shit's getting lit on fire.

1 comment:

Bug-Z said...

That movie ruled...