Monday, November 23, 2009

Precious (2009)

"Wow.
That was really fucking INSANE."

There.
That was the best way I could encapsulate how I felt after walking out of the theater tonight.
This is the most hardcore life experience film I think I have ever seen.
It was so amazing in fact, I don't even know where to begin.

So let's start with some background. The film was based on the novel "Push" by Sapphire.
Now, you are probably asking "Joe, what the fuck is a Sapphire???"
Well, I'll tell you....
Sapphire was born Ramona Lofton, but took the name Sapphire because of its association at one time in African-American culture with the image of a "belligerent black woman", during her days as a poet. She wrote poetry books, but as it stands, "Push" is her only novel.

See, you learned something.
Seriously...if the comes up around the office, you can spout off now like you're in the know.
You owe me a Jack and Coke.

The plot revolves around Clareece "Precious" Jones....or more importantly, what revolves around her.
No, I don't mean that in a planetary orbit kind of way because she's a large girl, although I must admit, that was pretty badass of me in the most unintentional of ways.
More to the point, I mean that Precious has horrendously terrible things happen to her throughout the course of her life. More than any one girl should ever have to endure.

How terrible you ask?
Well, let's start here....as the film begins, Precious is currently pregnant with her second child...by her Father.
And how does her Mother feel about all this?
Well, she thinks Precious is a whore who stole her man, and is PISSED that he only gave her one child...but gave Precious two. Precious is such a greedy bitch.
But all that doesn't stop ole' Mom from using Precious for her sexual needs too.

Fucked enough for you yet?
If it isn't, I want you to go away from my blog and never come back.
I'm sure Chris Matthews is waiting to spring his trap on you soon anyway, so what say we just go our separate ways now....cool?

Here's the thing that I found stunning about this movie....not only is the story compelling, but the acting is SO on point, that if feels like a documentary at times. It's literally amazing how you can get so lost in the performances.

And Mo'Nique....HOLY....SHIT.
If the final scene ALONE, with her, Mariah Carey and Gabourey Sidibe doesn't win her an Oscar....then the Oscars have NO merit.
THAT, was fucking stunning work.

Now, I'm gonna leave you with the trailer which fails miserably to convey the power of this movie. When you watch it, it will come off as just another "inner city black person attempts to make good" film.
You know what I mean, there are a million of them now...they are designed to make everyone feel good.
But I can't say "Precious" left me feeling good....it left me realizing that for some people, there isn't a happy ending, but they keep forging ahead anyway.
That sure, you may not EVER get a decent break, but you can always *try* to do right by you, and those around you....because if you fail at that, then what and where are you when the smoke clears?

Oh, and on a side note....a special "thank you" to all the Sistas in the theater who made this so much more of an amazing theatrical experience.
Without the shouts of "Oh HELL NO.....no he dint!", and all the "MMMM HMMM"s it just won't be the same watching at home.
That's the kind of stuff that puts a smile on my face about all of us.

As I promised....the trailer....

No comments: